1.13.2014

Surprise!

Weeks before Christmas, my mom made sure that Ryan and I would be available to hang out with my family the night after Christmas. My sister, Brooke, lives in Colorado, and the past few years we have only seen her at Christmas time. I love when all of us get to be together, so of course we were going to be there! When Ryan and I walked in, we immediately saw these gifts on the table! I didn't want to assume they were for us, but it was the only thing that made sense. :-) My parents told me that we were having a little family shower, and I thought it was so sweet.



As soon as I opened the first gift, there was a note in it. My weakness is definitely written words, so I knew I was doomed as soon as my mom said "there's a note in each bag." I managed to hold my act together and didn't cry, but wouldn't you know I cry every time I even see the pile of sweet notes at home now? Each of my sisters and each of my parents wrote a note. The first one explained that each gift was given to us with our own childhood memories in mind. In hindsight, both of our moms had asked us weeks before this night what our childhood favorites were. I can't think of a more meaningful gift or shower!

I loved this book as a kid, and I still love it. It has beautiful illustrations, but the story is equally beautiful. It's about giving and selflessness, a message that I hope Owen takes to heart.

*Sigh.* These two. These two are from my sisters, and I can't look at them without thinking of my sisters. Brooke loves animals and I remember her always watching 101 Dalmatians. Brittany also loves animals, and her favorite was The Lion King. I am excited for Owen to have both of my sisters in his life, and I'm sure he'll love these just as much as they did!

Ryan's mom said Ryan used to love Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? and could recite the whole book from memory. When my mom asked me what my favorites were, I immediately said "But No Elephants!" and she reminded me that I also loved Who Put the Pepper in the Pot? It's ok if you are unfamiliar with those two books; however it was that we got a hold of them as kids, I'm not sure, but I never got tired of them. I was surprised they were able to find those books! They also got Ryan A Practical Handbook for New Dads, which looks like a great read!

I was the queen of reading Little Critter. I love them!

Our little stack of notes. I will keep them forever. I told my mom that I completely appreciate every single thing, but the notes are my favorite. She said, "I knew they would be!" Sometimes people know you better than you think they do. ;)

Just when we thought it was over, they said there was one more gift. Out comes my dad with a giant box--one that I recognized! They got us our car seat and stroller (the travel system)! We were blown away.

We are so, so thankful. What a special memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment