1.13.2014

CHICAGO

Do you know your "love language?" Mine is quality time. You want to completely melt someone whose love language is quality time? Take them on a vacation, just the two of you. My husband nailed it. If I were dying today and had to name my favorite memory, it would easily be our trip to Chicago. Each day I kept thanking him for taking me there, and that even continued once we got home!
{I recommend purchasing Gary Chapman's The 5 Love Languages. Even if you don't read it, you can at least utilize the love language "quiz" at the back. You might even be able to find a quiz online. Just do it.}
This trip is the first we've taken, just the two of us, since our honeymoon. Ryan did a great job booking our flights and choosing a hotel! Once we got to our hotel, we walked in, set our luggage on the floor, and headed out the door. With the windchill, the temperatures were in the lower teens and single digits. We mainly walked (a lot) and shopped around the Magnificent Mile the first two days. We made a game of guessing prices at stores we had no business entering, and it was hilariously fun! We were so busy enjoying our time together in the city that I only took two pictures the first day. I tried to get better as the week went on.


There was a Nike store on the Magnificent Mile, and I took a seat while Ryan shopped their soccer section. He loved it, and later went back to buy this soccer ball--his first Chicago purchase. :)

 Believe me when I say no pizza will ever compare to Giordano's. On our plane ride back, I told Ryan that I now have my answer when people ask "if you knew you were dying, what would you choose as your last meal?" Giordano's, hands down.


Although we primarily walked, we did hail a few cabs. We got better  and better at it, but at first they all ignored us and we could not stop laughing about it. I think this picture was taken right before one of our many failed attempts. :)

We didn't go in, but I had to snap a picture of this Burberry store. I thought their signature plaid building was so neat!

Our third day there is etched in my memory as one of the best days of my life. I had been watching the weather every day leading up to our trip, praying and wishing that it would snow. It wasn't originally in the forecast, but the day before we left, I checked the weather and saw a chance of snow on three separate days! I couldn't wait for Saturday because I knew it would snow and snow. It was absolutely gorgeous, and every bit of what I hoped it would be! We went all over the city that day, used the L-train, fell in love with Chicago's public transportation system, visited Wrigley, stopped by Willis Tower, went to the Navy Pier, and attended the Bull's game. We were gone from our hotel for about 14 hours that day.  It was so cold that I wore two pairs of pants every day, which inspired Ryan to start calling me "two-pants." He still says it every now and then, and we just laugh and laugh. Such great, random memories. :)

Miss two-pants, happy as could be!


Downside of a couple's vacation is that we only have two or three pictures of the two of us together, but that's ok!


This picture is one of my favorites. Ryan has wanted to visit Wrigley his whole life, and he finally got to do just that! The stadium takes up an entire city block, and we walked every inch of it in the snow, stopping to take whatever pictures he wanted to take. He was so happy! He still wants to go to a game some day, but it was beautiful all decorated for Christmas.


Straight thuggin'. 

Waiting for the train. Isn't this beautiful?

Since it was so snowy, there was zero visibility at Willis Tower (formerly known as Sears Tower). We had planned on going up to the SkyDeck, but we wouldn't have been able to see anything at all. We decided to head back to "our area" and go to the Navy Pier. The sun was starting to go down, and the temperature was dropping drastically. We had to walk 1.4 or so miles from the train to the Navy Pier. My feet were absolutely killing me, I felt like I was freezing to death, and I was a little mad that my optimistic husband thought we could handle that walk instead of hailing a cab. But we walked, and we made it. I dried my tears and couldn't believe how stunningly beautiful a frozen Lake Michigan could possibly be. I know snowy, wintery settings aren't for everybody, but every day we were there I kept talking about how I happy I was that I got to see the city for the first time in the snowy winter. Take a look!



The love of.my.life.


The Bulls game was so fun! We spent the first quarter in our nose-bleed seats, and moved down twelve rows off the court for the rest of the game. There were ushers at the entrance of each section, and the usher at our new section stopped me to ask if I knew where I was going. I said "yep" and kept walking, sitting down as quickly as I could. I sent Ryan a text, telling him where I was sitting and instructing him to act like he knew what he was doing. The usher stopped him and asked for his ticket, and Ryan said "my wife has my ticket. She's over there." He let him through, and we didn't dare move for the rest of the game! We watched that usher require a ticket of every single person after us; he'd turn them away if they couldn't show him the ticket. We got so lucky, and it's just another good/funny memory we have of our trip. While on the subject, let me just say: NBA has nothing on college sports. I kept asking "is it always like this? Does anybody ever get excited? Why don't people stand up? Are these people really fans??" Completely lame atmosphere, but a neat experience!


Much better, eh?

The next day was our last full day in Chicago. I was a little pouty at times because I did not want to come back. I mean, galavanting all over the incredible city in the snow with my husband? Being in a hotel room together, where he couldn't even go to the next room if he wanted to? The best. We went back to the Navy Pier so I could make Owen a Build-a-Bear. We also went to Shedd Aquarium, and then to a really nice dinner at Ditka's.


Yumtown. Delicious steaks, and a trio of delectable sides. Ryan loved all of the Bears and Mike Ditka memorabilia. 

It somehow became a tradition of ours to order Creme Brulee any time we go anywhere "fancy." 

The next morning, we packed up, got a cab to the nearest train stop, got off at the airport, and came home. I was genuinely sad, but only because we had the best time. We both want to go back so Ryan can go to a Cub's game. And so we can eat at Giordano's again. I've been to both New York and Los Angeles, and Chicago easily takes the cake. I'm grateful--so grateful--that we were able to enjoy this together.

1 comment:

  1. Gabriel and I will be visiting Chicago Mid-March! I'm so excited!!

    ReplyDelete