8.21.2010

Transitions

Transitioning from summer break to school is like moving from your cozy home to an erupting volcano. Whatever that means, it's all too sudden and discomforting. Having been in school for two weeks now, I can say it's not all that bad. I'd just rather be on summer break. :)

This school year is already better than last. It took me no time at all to stumble upon this realization; we've only been in school with students for two days. But even the eight days of professional development were better than last year. Chalk it up to experience, I'm certain.

While I would never consider myself "experienced" as a second year teacher, the basic fundamentals of each school day are a breeze compared to last year. By this time last year, I had already argued with a girl before the bell ever rang to begin the first day of school, I had been cussed out by a male student who was suspended for three days, and I had been on the receiving end of countless instances of sexual harrassment. I shudder at those memories.

This year-- no similarities. Not one. Praise the Lord. These students are precious and are widely known as being a class that is much better than the last. I have two pre-AP classes this year instead of one, and I can't contain my excitement. I love them! Everything has gone so smoothly. Not one student has asked me my age, not one has made a crude or sexual remark, not one has talked back to me... but many students and parents alike have made sweet comments. Being "not new" makes such a huge difference. I never would have thought it mattered that much.

I have two main dreads about the probable transition to Fayetteville: 1) leaving three of my best friends (though being closer to others) and 2) having to be a "new" teacher again (assuming I continue in this career). I know I'll still have these experiences which will help me, but I'll still be new to whatever district and to all of those students and parents.

I'm also excited about many of my plans for this year, which was definitely not the case last year. Of course, I'll still grumble about not having as much free time as I'd like--did you really think I wouldn't?--but that doesn't mean I hate teaching unless I explicitly say so (and I would).

Also, for anyone who actually understands, we met AYP last year in Literacy, after being in whole-school improvement for three years!! Wahoo!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making AYP!! I know that is a huge thing!

    I'm glad your year is starting off better. I agree about the experience thing. You get way more respect from everyone!

    ReplyDelete