5.01.2014

One Month




See how long those legs are?? I snicker (yep) each time I see them! 


My sweet, sweet Owen is one month old today. I've never known time to pass so quickly. It is truly bittersweet. We have had some difficult days where I have found myself looking forward to him getting a little older, in hopes of him growing out of his fussiness. Looking forward to his routine becoming more scheduled. Looking forward to his first smile, his first "I love you momma." There are also days where I feel my heart breaking a little, knowing that with the end of each day comes the stark reality that I'll never get these moments back. I feel an intensely deep desire for time to slow down so I can taste the sweetness of these days just a little longer. Should I really complain about spending hours on end putting my baby's pacifier back in his mouth when it falls out? I'm certain there will be a time when I am shattered over his lack of need for me. So right now? Right now I will treasure each moment. Each cry. Each adorable shriek. Every second he stares at me with those drop-dead-gorgeous eyes. Every time he wants to eat "before it's time to eat again." Every little whimper in the middle of the night. I know I will long for those again one day. Each time I feel a tinge of frustration, I remember how numbered these days are. I might not get anything done these days except loving my son, and doggonit, I'm going to do it well. Isn't it funny how looking ahead can sometimes root us deeper in the here and now?

At one month old, Owen has some definite likes and dislikes. It's so fun to analyze what we think is his personality. We have no idea, but it's still entertaining to point out his nuances and peg it onto one of our own personalities. He loves to be swaddled and snuggled. He loves being carried in the Moby carrier. He really loves to eat! He also seems to enjoy getting out of the house with me, riding in the car,  going for walks in his stroller, and sucking on that darn pacifier. He enjoys looking at lights, and he seems to enjoy music. He likes to bounce around a lot, and really enjoys any type of movement like that. He also enjoys laying on his playmat for short periods of time. He does not seem to like large groups of people, loud people or noises, his swing, or being without a pacifier. He did hate diaper changes and bath time, but he is slowly coming around on those!

He is the most adorable person in the universe. Everyone thinks he looks just like Ryan, and he does upon first glance. However, Owen seems to have my individual features. He definitely has my mouth, and we think he also has my nose and my eyes. But somehow his face still looks like Ryan! I think they're both incredibly handsome. :-) Owen is super long (or "tall," if you prefer). He has the biggest hands and feet. My favorite thing in the world is to see him in just a diaper. He has the cutest little body, and I will never, ever get enough of him. We weighed him last night by me stepping on the scale and then Ryan handing him to me. According to that super accurate method, he weighs exactly 10 pounds!

Last night he slept in his crib for the first time. He woke up to eat every 2.5-3 hours, but he slept in his crib from 9:30-5:30. This morning we had to try on a couple of outfits before we found one that still fit him. I quietly folded the one he suddenly outgrew, in disbelief that this was already happening. We've also been paci-free (with the exception of 5 cumulative minutes) for about 26 hours now. Can somebody please go ahead and invent a time machine? Or some way to at least make time stand still? I'd give an organ.

Right now he is snoring on my chest in the Moby, and the top of his head is slightly dampened from a few tears of mine. I can think of no greater joy than being his momma, even on the hard days. Owen Beckett, you are loved. You are big and strong and handsome and valuable and important and loved. You, my love, are a blessing from the Lord. I will slow down. I will study each of your features over and over again, day after day, and will never tire of doing so.


No comments:

Post a Comment